BUCKHANNON – Easter Sunday – April 21 – is fast approaching.
But before you dust off your spring dresses and best bonnets and head to church, don’t forget to scoop up your kids and a basket. Then, stop by one of a handful of Easter egg hunts in Buckhannon or the surrounding area.
It’s a great way to usher in spring and celebrate the season simultaneously.
Just as your kids will scour open fields for vividly colored eggs, we’ve scoured the area for Easter egg hunts, and here’s what we found. But if we’ve missed any, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to alert us.
Tuesday, April 16
- An old-fashioned Easter egg hunt at Meadowbrook Mall will be taking place as part of the mall’s “Tuesday is for Toddlers” initiative. From 11-noon, children ages 5 and under are invited to come to the old Home Store located by Marshall’s. Admission is free. Questions? Call 304-842-5441.
Saturday, April 20
- The New Community Church in Buckhannon will host an Egg-Streme Easter Party at Buckhannon- Upshur High School. The event in its entirety will last from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. and will feature an array of activities, such as face painting, food trucks, a bounce house, sack races, a parachute egg toss, cornhole and more. Teens are invited, too! There’s a special teen Easter egg event that will be announced that day. Want to get some exercise in? According to the New Community Church’s event calendar, its annual Easter 5k (3.1 miles) is slated to take place after the party. The cost of entry is free, as are the activities, with the exception of food trucks. A special guest, DJ Thunder, will keep the tunes spinning.
- The Matt Hymes Egg Hunt, sponsored by the Buckhannon Lions Club, will take place at 11 a.m. at Buckhannon City Park. Plan to arrive early because the eggs are scooped up fast, and attendance is typically high!
- Tappan Squires Memorial Easter egg hunt at Anita’s house, 2 Willowbrook St., in Buckhannon. This special neighborhood hunt is in its 20th year, and in 2019, it will be dedicated to the memory of Squires, a beloved teacher, coach and mentor, who always made an appearance at the annual egg hunt. There will be plenty of prizes, toys and fun for all!
Sunday, April 21
- The Trans-Allegheny Lunatic Asylum, located at 50 S. River Ave. in Weston, will host its 12th annual Easter egg hunt from 12:45-1:30 p.m. For the 12th annual egg hunt, the asylum is celebrating by hiding 12,000 eggs, and some bunny – the Easter bunny – special plans to make an appearance for photo opportunities with children beginning at noon. The free event is open to children ages 10 and under, and registration begins at noon at the fountain. For the hunt – which begins promptly at 1 p.m. – children will be split up into the following age groups: ages 2 and under; ages 3-6; and ages 7-10.
Happy Easter, and happy egg hunting from all of us at My Buckhannon!