Eight staff and seven students have tested positive for COVID-19, according to the latest numbers released by Upshur County Schools on Thursday afternoon.
Although schools have been closed for students the last two weeks, the school system still tracks all the cases related to each school.
Students could potentially return to the classroom as soon as next week, depending on Upshur County’s coloring on the official West Virginia Department of Education map. That map, released at 5 p.m. Saturday, determines whether schools in each county must close or can remain open for the upcoming week.
According to the W.Va. Department of Health and Human Resources, 97 total COVID-19 cases are currently active in Upshur County.
Here are the current numbers reported by Upshur County Schools:
- Buckhannon-Upshur High School: 4 positives (1 staff, active; 3 students, active).
- French Creek Elementary School: 2 positives (1 student, active; 1 student teacher, active), 11 in quarantine
- Fred Eberle Technical Center: 2 positives (students, active), 5 in quarantine
- Buckhannon-Upshur Middle School: 2 positives (staff, active), 2 in quarantine
- Tennerton Elementary School: 1 positive (student, active), 5 in quarantine
- Washington District Elementary School: 1 positive (staff, active), 2 in quarantine
- Buckhannon Academy Elementary School: No known positives, 3 in quarantine
- Hodgesville Elementary School: No known positives, 0 in quarantine
- Rock Cave Elementary School: No known positives, 0 in quarantine
- Union Elementary School: No known positives, 0 in quarantine
- Substitutes: 2 positives (staff, active), unknown in quarantine
- Transportation: 1 positive (staff, active), 1 in quarantine
- Full-time Remote: No known positives, 2 in quarantine
- Admin: No known positives, 0 in quarantine