Tucker’s Brace Leads Lady Cats Past Golden Eagles

Due to rainy conditions, the Sunday afternoon soccer game vs the University of Charleston Golden Eagles was moved to the turf on Cebe Ross Field. Coming into the game, the Lady Bobcats were looking for their second win of the season, and first conference win of the year. This was the first conference game of 2018 for both squads.

After a back and forth game for the first 15 minutes of the first half, the Lady Bobcats saw a glimpse of offense when Marissa Zetty played a ball through to Haelly Ramirez who had a one on one with the Charleston keeper. The angle was not good for the Bobcats, and the Charleston keeper took care of business and directed it out of bounds. Less than five minutes later, Kayla Fay had some space and drilled a shot that went wide left.

Just under 15 minutes to go in the first half, the visiting Golden Eagles were finding themselves in the Bobcats half quite consistently. The Lady Bobcats back line held strong and were denying any major threats for a Charleston goal.

With less than three minutes left in the half, both teams had great scoring chances. Charleston had a shot from 25-yards out that hit the crossbar and went out of bounds. The Lady Bobcats responded moments later when Carolyn Saulle hit a free kick from 25-yards out that went just high over the bar. The first half ended 0-0, with the Bobcats having the slight edge in shots with 5 to the Golden Eagles 3.

The first 10 minutes of the second half were much of the same, as the Lady Bobcats and the Golden Eagles played some back and forth soccer with limited opportunities for either side.

With around 30 minutes to go in the game, a great save led to a collision from the Bobcat keeper Ashlee Schumacher and the University of Charleston’s Claire Couterier. Couterier would be given a yellow card on the play. After an injury to Schumacher, Chelsea Hubner came back into goal for the Bobcats after being subbed out a halftime.

Wesleyan would catch fire soon after MaKatlyn Tucker would place a shot around the Golden Eagle keeper off a pass from Natalie Prater just outside the six yard box. Less than a few minutes later, Tucker would again find the ball in the box, and fire a shot from around 10-yards out that would hit the cross bar and find its way in the back of the net. Wesleyan up 2-0 with 27 minutes left in the contest. The goal would be assisted by Shannon Shawgo, and Isabella Salas.

With 10 minutes left in contest, both Chrystal Posada and Casey Underwood would have chances at short range but the Charleston keeper denied both. Score would remain 2-0 Wesleyan.

Wesleyan would hold and grab the win 2-0. Wesleyan would improve to 2-1 overall and 1-0 in conference with the victory.

The Lady Cats next game will be Wednesday, September 12th where they are slated to hit the road against Glenville State College. The game is set to start at 7 PM.

News Feed

Subscribe to remove popups, or just enjoy this free story and support our local businesses!