Fire marshal rules Tallmansville house fire electrical in nature

TALLMANSVILLE – A structure fire that ravaged a home on the Tallmansville Road located close to Washington District Elementary School has been ruled electrical in nature.

Kevin Huffman, fire chief of the Washington District Volunteer Fire Company, said Thursday that the West Virginia State Fire Marshal’s Office completed its investigation of the home, located at 5069 Tallmansville Road and deemed it electrical.

“The fire marshal just called to confirm it was electrical in nature,” Huffman said.

Huffman said firefighters were dispatched to the resident at 8:18 p.m. Tuesday, May 3, but fortunately, no one was injured and all occupants made it out of the house, including several dogs, who were also unharmed in the blaze.

Huffman said the home is likely a total loss.

“I would personally consider it a total loss,” he said. “There might be a little bit that’s OK, but usually, what the fire doesn’t get, the smoke or water do.”

Huffman said the fire is believed to have originated in the attic/crawl space, and firefighters were on scene until close to 11 p.m. that evening.

In addition to Washington District firefighters, the Adrian Volunteer Fire Department, Buckhannon Fire Department and Ellamore Volunteer Fire Department responded to the call. At the June 1 Buckhannon City Council meeting, Buckhannon Fire Chief J.B. Kimble said fire was one of four the department had responded to in the last seven days.

News Feed

Subscribe to remove popups, or just enjoy this free story and support our local businesses!