Community Bulletin
Foot and ankle pain no longer means a long drive. Vandalia Health Foot & Ankle now treats patients in four central West Virginia towns — Buckhannon, Cowen, Elkins and Philippi — part of the network long known as Davis Health System. Read more →
This story brought to you paywall-free, courtesy of the My Buckhannon team and our community partners
CHARLESTON, W.Va. — Following the severe storms and flooding that struck the state on July 21, Governor Patrick Morrisey advanced $400,000 to help approximately 400 Lewis County students return to the classroom.
“Our commitment to helping our communities recover hasn’t changed. We’re going to stay with these communities until the job is done,” Morrisey said.
Since July 21, approximately 1,000 state personnel have directly supported flood response operations. The West Virginia Division of Natural Resources conducted 86 water rescues, in addition to rescues performed by local volunteer fire departments and first responders. The West Virginia National Guard removed approximately 18,000 tons of debris, while the Division of Highways has removed another 150,580 tons.
Robert L. Bland Middle School sustained significant structural damage during the flooding and cannot safely reopen for in-person learning. The governor is advancing $400,000 from the Civil Contingent Fund to help Lewis County Schools temporarily relocate the school to WVU Jackson’s Mill, with the state expecting the expense to be reimbursed by FEMA. The temporary location will allow approximately 400 students to resume in-person learning after Labor Day.
“A flood may have damaged their school, but we weren’t going to let it keep 400 kids out of the classroom,” said Morrisey. “Lewis County and WVU found a solution at Jackson’s Mill, and the state is advancing the funding to get it done. After Labor Day, these students will be back together and learning in person.”
FEMA Individual Assistance has been approved for Lewis, Pleasants, Ritchie and Upshur counties. As of Thursday evening, 782 residents had registered for assistance and more than $3.1 million had been approved. Requests for additional federal assistance remain under review.
Morrisey has extended the State of Emergency through September 19 in 12 counties where recovery operations remain ongoing: Barbour, Doddridge, Harrison, Lewis, Pendleton, Pleasants, Randolph, Ritchie, Tucker, Tyler, Upshur and Wetzel.
