GRAFTON – Buckhannon-Upshur’s Lydia Falkenstein and Samantha Shreve ran one and two in the Bearcat Invitational on Saturday in Grafton.
Falkenstein had a winning time of 19:04 while Shreve posted a runner-up time of 20:29.
The top two placements helped the Lady Bucs win the 10-team title with 48 points.
East Fairmont took runner-up honors with 86 points, while Philip Barbour was third with 90.
The other Lady Bucs scoring were Mia Sappey in 13th (22:00), Jessica Williams in 14th (22:09) and Miah Reger in 27th (23:17).
The other Lady Bucs running were Pressley Bowers in 34th (23:34), Brianna Dalton in 39th (24:12), Kaydence Monti in 49th (25:21), Malia Bowers in 53rd (25:41) and Harlee GIllim in 85th (30:17).
“It was a really great race for the girls,” stated Buckhannon-Upshur head coach Taylor Stacy. “I was super impressed with the individual performances of Lydia and Sam. Jessica and Miah also had really good races after coming back from a rough couple of weeks dealing with injuries. I think it was exactly the kind of confidence boost we need before we roll into Conference and Regionals in October. I think the girls have a legitimate chance of taking the Big 10 title home if they can stick together and put together a solid performance on race day.”
The Lady Bucs will run again in the Polar Bear Invitational Saturday at the Apple Valley Golf Course at 11 a.m.
- Buckhannon-Upshur 48; 2. East Fairmont 86; 3. Philip Barbour 90; 4. Fairmont Senior 105; 5. Elkins 136; 6. Bridgeport 155; 7. Grafton 167; 8. North Marion 171; 9. Weir 222; 10. Keyser 256. (Oak Glen, Berkeley Springs, Tyler Consolidated, South Harrison and Lincoln did not field complete teams)
INDIVIDUAL TOP 5
- Lydia Falkenstein (Buckhannon-Upshur) – 19:04.
- Samantha Shreve (Buckhannon-Upshur) – 20:29.
- Kailee Haymond (East Fairmont) – 20:44.
- Taylor Hess (North Marion) – 20:55.
- Kaitlin Pappas (Bridgeport) – 21:05.
LADY BUC RESULTS
Lydia Falkenstein (1st) – 19:04.
Samantha Shreve (2nd) – 20:29.
Mia Sappey (13th) – 22:00.
Jessica Williams (14th) – 22:09.
Miah Reger (27th) – 23:17.
Pressley Bowers (34th) – 23:34.
Brianna Dalton (39th) – 24:12.
Kaydence Monti (49th) – 25:21.
Malia Bowers (53rd) – 25:41
Harlee Gillum (85th) – 30:17.