Firefighters work to contain a fire that destroyed a home on Pocahontas Street early Sunday morning. (Photo by Brian Bergstrom/My Buckhannon)

Woman injured in fire on Pocahontas Street early Sunday morning

BUCKHANNON — One woman was injured, and several pets were killed in a fire at a home on Pocahontas Street early Sunday morning, according to the Buckhannon Fire Department.

BFD Capt. Brian Elmore said a fire fully engulfed the residence at 172 Pocahontas Street; three people were inside at the time.

“The call came into the Comm Center at about 6:50 a.m. this morning, and it was a structure fire with entrapment,” Elmore told My Buckhannon. “Three people were in the house at the time. A daughter and granddaughter got themselves out, but another woman had to be removed from the second floor.”

The woman was transported via ambulance to the West Penn Burn Center in Pittsburgh because inclement weather conditions kept HealthNet Aeromedical Services grounded. Elmore said firefighters also discovered that three dogs had perished in the blaze.

In addition, three firefighters were injured, one of whom was being monitored for smoke inhalation at St. Joseph’s Hospital as of 1 p.m. Sunday, Elmore said.

“There were two others injured, but they were able to go home,” he said.

The property will likely be ruled a total loss, Elmore said, and the West Virginia State Fire Marshal’s Office will be on scene Monday, Nov. 28 to investigate.

“We have no idea where the fire originated,” he said. “It doesn’t appear to be suspicious, but the state fire marshal’s office will be here tomorrow.”

Elmore said the woman taken to West Penn Burn Center is expected to make a full recovery.

A GoFundMe page raising funds for the family has been set up.

“Hi, I’m raising money for my best friend’s mother and family who lost their house and belongings to a fire early on the morning of November 27th,” writes Kelsey Wilson. “Her mom was life-flighted to Pittsburgh with 2nd and 3rd-degree burns. Her sister and her sister’s infant daughter were able to evacuate the home safely. They had 4 dogs, and sadly they did not survive.”

Several fire departments — including Adrian, Warren District, Elkins and Weston — responded to the second-alarm fire, which occurred about a block from Upshur County EMS. The blaze heavily damaged both floors of the two-story house.

News Feed

Subscribe to remove popups, or just enjoy this free story and support our local businesses!