Upshur County Civil Service Commission for Deputy Sheriffs Notice of Testing
Competitive Examination and Certified List of Eligibility
Deputy Sheriff Positions
The Upshur County Civil Service Commission for Deputy Sheriffs is announcing an open period for the purpose of accepting applications for admission to competitive examinations. Such examinations shall be part of the criteria used to establish an eligibility list for appointment to entry level positions of Deputy Sheriff.
In order to be placed on the list of eligible applicants, an interested applicant must:
- On the date of testing, successfully meet the requirements on a physical agility screening test as set forth by the West Virginia State Police Academy.
- Achieve a passing score on a competitive written exam.
In order to be further considered for the position, an applicant must:
- Must be at least 18 years of age and no older than 45 years of age
- Possess a high school diploma or GED equivalent
- Be a United States citizen
- Pass a background check and complete physical, written, and psychological examinations
- Uncertified deputies must attend a 16-week academy, located at the West Virginia State Police Academy
- PT standards – 1.5 mile run in 14:36, 18 push-ups in 1 minute, 28 sit-ups in 1 minute
Why choose the Upshur County Sheriff’s Office:
- Competitive salary, starting between $40,000-$43,000
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- West Virginia Deputy Sheriff retirement
- Paid holidays, vacation, and sick leave
- All uniforms/equipment provided
- Take home vehicle
The Upshur County Sheriff’s Office is currently offering an up to $8,000.00 sign-on bonus incentive to law enforcement officers currently certified in the state of West Virginia.
Individuals may obtain an application at the following address:
Upshur County Sheriff’s Office
LAW ENFORCEMENT DIVISION
38 W. Main Street, Room 103
Buckhannon, WV 26201
Monday – Friday 8:00 am – 4:00 pm
Applications will be accepted until Friday, April 7, 2023.
Please do not make phone inquiries about this position. Employment with the Upshur County Sheriff’s Office is available to all qualified applicants without regard to race, creed, color, national origin, sex, age, or disability. Upshur County has established a drug free and tobacco free work environment.