FAIRMONT – The only thing that could slow down the Buckhannon-Upshur cross country team was their very own homecoming dance.
With the Fairmont Senior Invitational being held on Saturday, the same day as the B-UHS homecoming dance, only three Lady Buc performers competed in the event.
Freshman Samantha Shreve continued her strong season taking runner-up honors with a time of 21:05.55.
The two other B-U runners were Malia Bowers running 40th with a time of 25:38.07 and Harlee Gillum placing 60th with a clocking of 29:21.48.
“The three girls that ran all had really good races,” noted Buckhannon-Upshur head coach Taylor Stacy. “Sam and Malia ran some of their best races. Each girl ran a season’s best time. Sam took second place against some really good runners.”
Rachel Winthrow of Winfield won the invitational with a time of 19:48.68.
Winfield claimed the team title with 60 points while Woodrow Wilson was second with a 78 and East Fairmont was third with 79.
The Lady Bucs will now be idle until next Thursday when they run in the Big 10 Conference championship at Philip Barbour High School.
“It will be nice to take the next week off from racing to rest up before the conference meet,” concluded Stacy.”
- Winfield 60; 2. Woodrow Wilson 78; 3. East Fairmont 79; 4. North Marion 83; 5. Fairmont Senior 111; 6. Grafton 120; 7. Nicholas County 139 (Buckhannon-Upshur, Elkins, Notre Dame and South Harrison did not field complete teams).
INDIVIDUAL TOP 5
1. Rachel Winthrow (Winfield) – 19:48.68
2. Samantha Shreve (Buckhannon-Upshur) – 21:04.55
3. Taylor Hess (North Marion) – 21:27.52
4. Sophie Briscoe (Winfield) – 21:37.70
5. Mariam Al-Zoubi (Winfield) – 21:58.96
LADY BUC RESULTS
Samantha Shreve (2nd) – 21:05.55
Malia Bowers (40th) – 25:38.07
Harlee Gillum (60th) – 29:21.48