Police release name of Pennsylvania man who injured Upshur sheriff’s chief deputy in I-79 standoff

CHARLESTON — The West Virginia State Police have released the name of a Pennsylvania man involved in an active shooter incident Thursday near Exit 99 on I-79.

According to a press release from Deputy Chief of Staff Capt. R.A. Maddy, police have identified the suspect as Matthew Brevosky, 38, of Grindstone, Pa. Brevosky was killed by police after he fired multiple rounds, hitting Upshur County Sheriff’s chief deputy Mike Coffman.

Coffman was recovering following emergency surgery Thursday, according to Upshur County Sheriff Virgil Miller.

The WVSP press release says no “clear motive” has been identified yet, but the investigation remains active and ongoing. Two WVSP press releases, issued Thursday evening and Friday afternoon, appear in full below.

June 17, 2022 press release:

Follow up investigation by the West Virginia State Police and the Pennsylvania State police has positively identified the suspect as 38 year old Matthew Brevosky of Grindstone, Pennsylvania. The investigating officers are continuing to follow up on leads with the intent of identifying a clear motive behind the shooting incident. This investigation remains active and ongoing. 

June 16, 2022 press release:

On Thursday, June 16, 2022, at approximately 10:34 am, Lewis County 911 received a call regarding a reckless driver on I-79 northbound near the 99 mile marker. Multiple other calls subsequently came into 911 regarding a male suspect, armed with a gun. Lewis County Sheriff’s Department responded to the scene.  

An officer arrived on scene and observe a male subject outside of a silver, Ford Explorer brandishing a firearm.  The West Virginia State Police and Upshur County Deputies responded to assist.  The male subject was armed with a rifle and took a prone position behind his vehicle which was parked blocking both northbound lanes.  The male subject fired multiple rounds toward the officers striking an Upshur County Deputy in the leg. Officers retuned fire, shooting the suspect who died on scene from his injuries.  The West Virginia State Police is handling the investigation. At this time the suspect’s name is not being released pending positive identification and notification of next of kin. This investigation remains active and ongoing. 

News Feed

Subscribe to remove popups, or just enjoy this free story and support our local businesses!