Logo
Search
Close this search box.
Firefighters work to ensure a fire at a Wabash Avenue residence is completely out as dusk turns to dark Monday night.

UPDATED: Wabash Avenue fire quickly contained

BUCKHANNON — City and county firefighters were able to limit the spread of a fire at Wabash Avenue residence Monday night.

Buckhannon Fire Department firefighter Tanner Smith said Tuesday the fire at 191 Wabash Ave. originated in a grill on the front porch and spread throughout the house.

“There wasn’t an explosion, but the fire originated in the grill,” Smith said. “We held it to the front porch and a bathroom and it did spread into the attic a little, but the majority of the house doesn’t have any fire damage.”

Photos from inside and outside the residence showed extensive damage to the porch and bathroom, with smoke and water damage to other parts of the house.

No one was injured in the fire, which started at 8:09 p.m. It’s not considered suspicious.

“[The residents] were there when it started,” Smith said. “They had just finished cooking.”

Smith said the BFD, Washington Volunteer Fire Company and Warren District Volunteer Fire Department were able to extinguish the fire in a matter of minutes.

“We got the fire itself under control pretty quickly — within a couple minutes,” Smith said. “The rest was just making sure it was out completely.”

The original story appears below.

A gas grill sparked a house fire on Wabash Avenue Monday night that destroyed the affected residence’s porch and the front section of the house.

The fire broke out just after 8 p.m. at 191 Wabash Avenue in the Liggett Addition area. Buckhannon Fire Chief J.B. Kimble said a gas explosion from a grill on the porch had caused the fire.

According to witnesses on scene, the residents inside the house — as well as several dogs — were evacuated from the structure, and no one was injured.

Day turned to night as city and county firefighters worked for more than an hour Monday night to contain the fire.

In addition to the Buckhannnon Fire Department, Washington Volunteer Fire Company and Warren District Volunteer Fire Department responded to the scene as well as Upshur EMS.

Liggett Addition Road was blocked off as firefighters worked to put out the fire.

News Feed

Subscribe to remove popups, or just enjoy this free story and support our local businesses!