ONA – Jordan Gillum, the lone representative for the Buckhannon-Upshur Buccaneers in the 2022 Class AAA West Virginia State Cross Country Championships, finished in the top half of a competitive field.
Gillum finished 36th with a time of 17:41.60 out of 90 runners.
“It may not have been his greatest race, but it was a good cap to an amazing career here at Buckhannon-Upshur,” remarked Buckhannon-Upshur head coach Taylor Stacy about his senior runner. “I think running without the help of teammates had an effect on his mentality going into the race. Regardless, he showed the state he deserved to be there by earning the only individual bid from our region.”
As expected, the Bucs’ loaded Region 1 placed three teams in the top six.
University won the team title with 39 points while Wheeling Park was third with 77 points and Morgantown was sixth with 166 points.
Filling in those gaps were Hurricane in second with 56 points, Jefferson fourth with 122 points and Cabell Midland fifth with 131 points.
Hurricane took the top two individual spots as Ty Steorts won the individual race with a time of 15:27.14 and Aaron Kids was runner-up with a clocking of 15:41.21.
University’s Drew Zundell was third with a time of 15:45.21.
- University 39; 2. Hurricane 56; 3. Wheeling Park 77; 4. Jefferson 122; 5. Cabell Midland 131; 6. Morgantown 166; 7. Woodrow Wilson 174; 8. Parkersburg South 246; 9. George Washington 267; 10. Washington 276; 11. St. Albans 296; 12. Musselman 322.
INDIVIDUAL TOP 5
- Ty Steorts (Hurricane) – 15:27.14.
- Aaron Kidd (Hurricane) – 15:41.21.
- Drew Zundell (University) – 15:45.21.
- Aidan Kneeland (Woodrow Wilson) – 15:48.42.
- Nick Kennedy (Hurricane) – 15:55.94.
Jordan Gillum (36th) – 17:41.60.