TENNERTON – The Buckhannon-Upshur Athletic Hall of Fame Committee will hold their 2022 banquet this Saturday, Oct. 22 at the high school.
The banquet will begin at 6 p.m.
Tickets for the public are $15 and are currently available to be purchased at the high school by asking for athletic secretary Monica Smith or by contacting Jim Marsh at 304-472-6909.
Tickets will not be sold at the door prior to the banquet.
The Buckhannon-Upshur class of 2022 is made up of Robert Akers (Class of 1996), Chris Boyles (Class of 1991) Stephen Jeran (Class of 1974), Eric Norton (Class of 1989) and the Field for Future Committee.
ROBERT AKERS ’96
Akers was a member of the football team, track and field teams and cross country teams that won a state title in 1993
- Member of the 1993 State Championship Cross Country Team
- 1993 All-NCAC; All-State Cross Country
- Four-time NCAC 800-meter track champion
- 1993 NCAC Champion in the 4×400-meter relay
- 1994 NCAC 400-meter track champion
- 1995 All-State in 4×200-meter relay and 4×400-meter relay
- 1995 NCAC Football All-Second Team
- 1996 All-State in 800-meter and 4×800-meter relay
- 1996 John Young Award Winner
CHRIS BOYLES ’91
Chris will be inducted posthumously after being a member of the football and wrestling team.
- 1990 NCAC Honorable Mention Football
- 1991 NCAC Football Second Team
- 1991 Second on football team in tackles
- Three-year letter winner in wrestling
- Took first place in the B-UHS Duels/MHS Duels
- Team high 12 pins in 1990
- First Place in Region III at states
- Second Place in Region II at states
- Special Olympics Volunteer
STEPHEN JERAN ’74
- Jeran was a member of the basketball and golf teams
- 1973 Big 10 Conference Football First Team
- 1973 All Tournament in basketball
- Averaged 19.5 points per game in 1973 (Ninth highest)
- Scored 678 career points (19th all time)
- On West Virginia State Tournament golf teams in 1972 and 1973. The 72 team was the first B-U team to make the state tournament
- Attended Fairmont State where he played basketball and golf.
ERIC NORTON ’89
Norton played soccer and baseball
- Scored 45 goals and 20 assists
- Seventh all-timer leading scorer in B-U history
- A member of the 1987 undefeated team
- 1988 captain of soccer team
- 1988 All-State First Team in soccer
- Was inducted into WVHSSCA Hall of Fame
FIELD FOR THE FUTURE COMMITTEE
The committee raised $910,000 in 2007 for artificial turf and renovations at Freal “Red” Crites Memorial Stadium.
- Committee members:
- Melvin Hager, Chairman
- Larry Williams, Vice Chair, Treasurer
- John Jenkins, Fundraising Chair
- Brenda Wells, Secretary
- Jim Marsh, Publicity Chair
- Rick Malcom, Jimmy Gifford, Debbie Shapiro, Aleece Williams, Jim Gregory, Holt Poling, Mary Alice Poling, Don Swisher, David Weese, Randy Kirchberg, Tim Kelley, Vicki Kelley, Granville Zopp, B. J. Teets, Dave Chipps, Clifford Rollins, Betty Rollins, Dusty Williams, Dr. Charles Chandler.