The West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources announced Monday that 9,033 cases of COVID-19 are currently active in the Mountain State. That’s a decrease of 1,180 since the last report Friday.
Locally, COVID-19 cases are active in Upshur (131), Barbour (89), Lewis (80), Randolph (70) and Webster (61) counties. In Upshur County, that’s a decrease of 14 active cases over the weekend.
Twenty-eight additional deaths have been attributed to the disease, according to the DHHR:
- a 71-year old male from Preston County,
- a 93-year old male from Tucker County,
- an 85-year old male from Lewis County,
- a 73-year old male from Wood County,
- an 89-year old female from Preston County,
- a 53-year old female from Wetzel County,
- a 38-year old female from Logan County,
- a 56-year old male from Wood County,
- a 63-year old female from Marion County,
- an 86-year old male from Jackson County,
- a 73-year old male from Kanawha County,
- a 68-year old male from Tucker County,
- a 59-year old male from Wood County,
- a 78-year old male from Marion County,
- an 84-year old male from Kanawha County,
- an 80-year old male from Berkeley County,
- a 79-year old male from Wirt County,
- an 89-year old female from Fayette County,
- a 53-year old male from Putnam County,
- a 77-year old male from Harrison County,
- a 41-year old female from Cabell County,
- a 93-year old male from Hancock County,
- a 93-year old male from Wayne County,
- a 52-year old male from Berkeley County,
- a 71-year old female from Wayne County,
- a 57-year old male from Berkeley County,
- a 46-year old male from Kanawha County,
- an 83-year old male from Nicholas County.
“The West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources (DHHR) reports as of October 18, 2021, there are currently 9,033 active COVID-19 cases statewide. There have been 28 deaths reported since the last report, with a total of 4,134 deaths attributed to COVID-19,” according to a press release.
About 744 residents are hospitalized with the virus (77% unvaccinated, 23% vaccinated), with 221 currently in intensive care (87% unvaccinated, 13% vaccinated) and 151 on a ventilator (88% unvaccinated, 12% vaccinated). The daily percent positive was 8.08%.
A total of 902,568 people have been fully vaccinated for COVID-19 in West Virginia, meaning they have received both doses of the vaccine, the DHHR said. That’s about 50% of the state.
CURRENT ACTIVE CASES PER COUNTY: Barbour (89), Berkeley (607), Boone (122), Braxton (63), Brooke (56), Cabell (353), Calhoun (39), Clay (52), Doddridge (33), Fayette (227), Gilmer (31), Grant (76), Greenbrier (136), Hampshire (113), Hancock (154), Hardy (67), Harrison (603), Jackson (171), Jefferson (173), Kanawha (879), Lewis (80), Lincoln (118), Logan (128), Marion (419), Marshall (132), Mason (97), McDowell (102), Mercer (273), Mineral (183), Mingo (139), Monongalia (451), Monroe (57), Morgan (86), Nicholas (220), Ohio (157), Pendleton (19), Pleasants (28), Pocahontas (17), Preston (262), Putnam (306), Raleigh (358), Randolph (70), Ritchie (56), Roane (77), Summers (23), Taylor (80), Tucker (27), Tyler (29), Upshur (131), Wayne (154), Webster (61), Wetzel (66), Wirt (46), Wood (413), Wyoming (124).