BUCKHANNON – Don’t be startled: no surprises are in store when it comes to the time and date of trick-or-treating in the city limits of Buckhannon this year.
At its Aug. 15 meeting last week, Buckhannon City Council set trick-or-treating for 6 to 7:30 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 31, opting to continue the city’s tradition of scheduling trick-or-treating for an hour-and-a-half on the haunted holiday.
“We have for the past number of years done trick-or-treat on Halloween, and this year, it’s on a Thursday,” mayor David McCauley said at the meeting. “And we usually do 6-7:30 p.m., and I will entertain a motion that we adopt that as our trick-or-treating night for Halloween 2019.”
City recorder Randy Sanders made a motion to set trick-or-treating for 6 to 7:30 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 31, which was seconded by councilman CJ Rylands prior to passing unanimously.
The Upshur County Commission has not yet set a date and time for trick-or-treating in the county.
And although August has yet to turn into September, here’s a preliminary list of all Halloween-related dates for fans of all things spooky:
- Oct. 24-27 – Buckhannon Community Theatre performs “Dracula” in the historic Colonial Theatre
- Oct. 25 – Stockert Youth & Community Center’s Haunted House
- Oct. 28-29 – First-ever city-sponsored Zombie Walk from the Colonial Theatre down Trader’s Alley to Jawbone Park; kids’ division Oct. 28, adults’ division Oct. 29, 7-8 p.m.
- Oct. 30 – Trunk-or-Treat in city’s Public Safety Complex on Florida Street, 6-8 p.m.
- Oct. 31 – Trick-or-treating, 6-7:30 p.m.