BUCKHANNON – The Upshur County Recreational Park invites the community to enjoy warm days by the pool starting this Saturday.
The Upshur County Recreational Park will open its doors May 27 for public swimming from noon to 6 p.m. A day pass may be purchased at the pool for $5 per person or $3 after 3 p.m., and season passes are available for purchase on the Upshur County Recreational Park Rec Desk.
All signups for programs at the park can be done through Rec Desk, as well as rentals for pool parties and pavilions, but Upshur County Parks and Recreation Facilities Director Jeremiah McCourt said those are booking up quickly. In addition to the regular amenities at the park, McCourt said he is working on adding an additional rental item this year.
“I’m hoping by the end of the season to offer bounce houses for rentals, specifically at the pavilions,” McCourt said. “I’m still debating prices for that, but once it’s made available, we will let people know.”
A new animal tracker sign can also be found at the park so people enjoying the Upshur County Trails can determine which animals have shared the trails or area with them.
“It has common animals you might see around the trails and the park, what kind of signs to look for as far as tracks, and it will have a picture of the track and then the animal, so you know what you’re looking for,” McCourt said. “I’m also going to put down one temporary pickleball court at one of the tennis courts to introduce people to the sport. We’re going to have some starter kits available to check out at the admission desk for anyone who wants to try that out.”
This summer will also feature several events this summer including the North Central West Virginia Swim Championship July 14-15, a triathlon and Strongman contest Aug. 12 and the Adult Summer Basketball League starting in June and ending July 7.
“I’m also thinking about doing a kickball tournament towards the end of the summer, potentially a volleyball tournament, and if I get enough interest and maybe a food truck night,” McCourt said. “We’re also going to start a ‘Mommy and Me’ swim class in July.”
Currently, the pool is scheduled to be open during its regular hours from May 27 to Aug. 6, but McCourt said he hopes to stay open a few extra weekends for pool parties if staff are available.
Upshur County Recreational Park Hours and dates:
Open to the public May 27 and closing date Aug. 6:
- Hours of operation Monday through Saturday from noon to 6 p.m.
- Admission: $5 per person, $3 admission after 3 p.m.
- Sundays (Family Fun Day) – Hours are 12:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. with $3 per person admission—no charge for children under 2 years old.
Season Pool Pass:
- $120 for individual pass; each additional pass for immediate family is discounted by 50 percent ($60, $30, $15, $7.50)
- One-day pool passes in books of five are $20.
Lounge Chair Rental:
- $2/chair (These are included in any purchased Season Pool Pass).
- Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m.
- Friday, Saturday and Sunday from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.
- Friday and Saturday from 8:30 p.m. to 10:30 p.m.
- Cost is $200 for under 40 people, $225 for 40 to 80 people, $250 for 80-plus people.
- Group Swim Lessons: Weekends — $80 for eight lessons.
- Private Lessons for children under 4 years of age or by request as available – $15 per session
- Large Shelter – $50 ($47 for tax-exempt entities)
- Small Shelter – $25 ($23.50 for tax-exempt entities)
- Monday through Friday from 7:45 a.m. to 8:45 a.m.
- Saturday and Sunday from 10:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
- Cost is $50 for each pass or $3 per day.
- Starting Tuesday, May 30
- Monday and Thursday from 9 a.m. to 9:45 a.m.
- Tuesday from 6 p.m. to 6:45 p.m.
- $5 per session
Swim Teams: $400
Discounts: Camp Buccaneer/Child Development Centers/UC Public Library/Camp Tommy/Upshur County 4-H/Upshur County Schools: $55 for each pool pass, $200 for each pool party.