TENNERTON — In continuing to bring you the best sports coverage in Upshur County, the My Buckhannon sports department is pleased to present another edition of our exclusive — Raising the Jolly Roger With…
In ‘Raising the Jolly Roger With…’ the My Buckhannon sports department will interview a senior student-athlete from Buckhannon-Upshur to get to know them better and what makes them tick both on and off the field. Don’t settle for cheap knockoffs!
Our student-athlete this week is Jessica Williams — enjoy!
1. Please list all the sports you have played at B-U and what year you played them? Cross-country since 2016-2022; Track since 2016-2022; Archery since 2017-2022; Air rifle since 2019-2022.
2. What has been your favorite athletic moment at Buckhannon-Upshur that you participated in? Probably in cross-country when I got my first medal.
3. Describe your toughest practice at Buckhannon-Upshur. What sport and who was the coach? It was cross-country and it was coach Taylor Stacy; and it is when we do hill workouts; I hate them but they make me better anytime I do them.
4. Do you have a favorite saying from one of your head coaches? “It’s a great day to be great.” – Coach Stacy
5. What was or is your favorite class you have taken at Buckhannon-Upshur and who taught it? Why was it your favorite? My favorite class was my Coding, App, and game design class I took my freshman year with Ms. Wamsley. It was the first time I learned to code.
6. What is your favorite thing about being a Buccaneer? I just love the community, and even though we are small in numbers, we can still do great things.
7. If you were asked to play another sport, what would it be and why? I would join the swim team due to my sister being a swimmer and the fact that I was a lifeguard.
8. Who is your hero and why? I look up to my sister because when she did her swimming sport she was really good at it and is very intellectual and successful in her academics.
9. What do you want to be when you grow up? I want to be a game designer and code games.
10. What are your initial plans after graduation this spring? I want to go to West Virginia Wesleyan College and study Computer Science.
11. What question do you hate to answer? “Why do you talk so much?”
12. Who is the best athlete in your family? Me or my sister depending on the sport.
13. Do you have a favorite vacation spot? If so, where? Yes, it’s Ocean City, New Jersey.
14. What is your favorite food and the one thing you won’t eat? I love pasta and I dislike steamed carrots.
15. What advice would you give to a young athlete ready to start his/her career time as a Buccaneer? Even when things get tough, rely on the people around you and always keep moving forward.