The West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources announced Thursday that 11,629 cases of COVID-19 are currently active in the Mountain State. That’s an increase of 298 since the last report.
Locally, COVID-19 cases are active in Upshur (164), Barbour (64), Lewis (153), Randolph (98) and Webster (71) counties. In Upshur County, that’s an increase of four active cases in the last 24 hours.
Twenty-seven additional deaths have been attributed to the disease, according to the DHHR:
- a 65-year old female from Lewis County,
- a 93-year old female from Randolph County,
- an 80-year old male from Mercer County,
- a 78-year old female from Wood County,
- a 73-year old female from Raleigh County,
- a 65-year old female from Hancock County,
- a 62-year old male from Taylor County,
- a 65-year old male from Preston County,
- a 75-year old male from Nicholas County,
- a 37-year old female from Mercer County,
- a 75-year old female from Raleigh County,
- a 63-year old female from Preston County,
- a 68-year old female from Ohio County,
- a 75-year old male from Morgan County,
- a 70-year old male from McDowell County,
- a 44-year old female from Summers County,
- a 91-year old male from Hancock County,
- a 73-year old female from Mercer County,
- a 72-year old male from Raleigh County,
- a 49-year old female from Nicholas County,
- a 39-year old male from Monongalia County,
- a 77-year old male from Wood County,
- an 88-year old male from Kanawha County,
- a 90-year old male from Raleigh County,
- a 72-year old male from McDowell County,
- an 84-year old female from Kanawha County,
- an 83-year old male from Mercer County.
“The West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources (DHHR) reports as of October 7, 2021, there are currently 11,629 active COVID-19 cases statewide. There have been 27 deaths reported since the last report, with a total of 3,866 deaths attributed to COVID-19,” according to a press release.
About 892 residents are hospitalized with the virus (82% unvaccinated, 18% vaccinated), with 260 currently in intensive care (88% unvaccinated, 12% vaccinated) and 179 on a ventilator (90% unvaccinated, 10% vaccinated). The daily percent positive was 8.67%.
A total of 890,835 people have been fully vaccinated for COVID-19 in West Virginia, meaning they have received both doses of the vaccine, the DHHR said. That’s about 50% of the state.
CURRENT ACTIVE CASES PER COUNTY: Barbour (64), Berkeley (769), Boone (184), Braxton (88), Brooke (83), Cabell (612), Calhoun (25), Clay (45), Doddridge (96), Fayette (287), Gilmer (56), Grant (104), Greenbrier (173), Hampshire (85), Hancock (168), Hardy (91), Harrison (728), Jackson (202), Jefferson (243), Kanawha (1,029), Lewis (153), Lincoln (155), Logan (212), Marion (538), Marshall (201), Mason (172), McDowell (199), Mercer (426), Mineral (211), Mingo (152), Monongalia (288), Monroe (57), Morgan (76), Nicholas (195), Ohio (148), Pendleton (22), Pleasants (34), Pocahontas (30), Preston (300), Putnam (432), Raleigh (398), Randolph (98), Ritchie (92), Roane (138), Summers (42), Taylor (102), Tucker (44), Tyler (61), Upshur (164), Wayne (316), Webster (71), Wetzel (130), Wirt (40), Wood (642), Wyoming (158).