ELLAMORE — At least three occupants of a house along the Old Elkins Road near the Upshur/Randolph County line were not home Friday afternoon when a fire broke out out that ultimately destroyed their home.
Lt. Joey Baxa with the Buckhannon Fire Department said the residents of the home are safe.
Sadly, according to Ellamore Volunteer firefighter Dallas Martin, their dog perished in the blaze.
By the time firefighters arrived on scene at about 12:45 p.m., the blaze had fully engulfed the structure.
Martin said the house was a total loss but was unsure of where the fire originated or what caused it.
“We don’t know at this time,” he said. “When we got there, it was fully engulfed.”
Martin said it took firefighters from Ellamore, Washington District Volunteer Fire Company, Buckhannon Fire Department and Coalton Volunteer Fire Department almost three hours to put out the blaze.
Martin said he’s also not sure whether the West Virginia State Fire Marshal’s Office will be asked to investigate the circumstances under which the fire started.
Typically, in situations where a house is a total loss, the Upshur Parish House and several churches chip in to help house, clothe and feed families while they get back on their feet.
The incident shut down the Old Elkins Road near the Randolph/Upshur county line while firefighters fought the fire, which was located right off the road.
Update: A fundraiser for the homeowner was posted on Facebook: Click here.