TENNERTON – Lydia Falkenstein and Samantha Shreve ran first and second for the Buckhannon-Upshur Lady Bucs leading them to a victory in the Buckhannon-Upshur Buccaneer Invitational last Saturday morning.
Falkenstein clocked a time of 20:36.71 to take top honors out of 68 other competitors while Shreve had a time of 21:28.81 for runner-up honors.
The finishes of Falkenstein and Shreve helped the Lady Bucs to a team title with 59 points.
East Fairmont was a distant second with 90 points while Tucker County was third with 96 points.
Also scoring for the Lady Bucs were Mia Sappey with a top 10 finish placing eighth with a time of 23:30.99 while Brianna Dalton was 23rd with a time of 25:32.28 and Jessica Williams finished 29th with a time of 26:34.91.
The other two Lady Bucs competing were Pressley Bowers running 37th (27.32.24) and Harlee Gillum placing 59th (33:39.75).
“Saturday was a great day for the girl’s teams,” remarked Buckhannon-Upshur head coach Taylor Stacy. “We had some strong performances and I’m really proud of how we competed against some strong conference opponents. We did have some girls go down and either not finish or perform to their best ability but thankfully we’re a strong team and the other girls were right there to step it up. Lydia and Sam both ran phenomenal races and got a really good lead early on in the race. I’m really happy with where we are at this point in the season.”
The Lady Bucs will be back in action this Saturday in Elkins at the Forest Festival invitational.
- Buckhannon-Upshur 59; 2. East Fairmont 90; 3. Tucker County 96; 4. Fairmont Senior 108; 5. North Marion 120; 6. Philip Barbour 121; 7. Elkins 140; 8. Robert C. Byrd 143; 9. Webster County 207. Lincoln, South Harrison and Lewis County did not field complete teams.
INDIVIUDUAL TOP 5
- Lydia Falkenstein (Buckhannon-Upshur) – 20:36.71.
- Samantha Shreve (Buckhannon-Upshur) – 21:28.81.
- Claudia Moore (Robert C. Byrd) – 22:06.92.
- Kailee Haynond (East Fairmont) – 22:55.04.
- Erin Chambers (Tucker County) – 22:59.19.
LADY BUC RESULTS
Lydia Falkenstein (1st) – 20:36.71.
Samantha Shreve (2nd) – 21:28.81.
Mia Sappey (8th) – 23:30.99.
Brianna Dalton (23rd) – 25:32.28.
Jessica Williams (29th) – 26:34.91.
Pressley Bowers (37th) – 27:32.24.
Harlee Gillum (59th) – 33:39.75.