A 49-year-old man from Upshur County has died from COVID-19, the West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources announced Saturday morning. It is the fifth COVID-related death in the county.
Statewide, the DHHR said Saturday that 1,507 new cases of COVID-19 and 12 additional deaths have been identified in the Mountain State.
Locally, new cases were reported in Upshur (6), Barbour (3), Lewis (10), Randolph (6) and Webster (7) counties.
A total of 195 cases are currently active in Upshur County, according to the DHHR.
Saturday’s Upshur County update:
- Added two probable and two confirmed cases on Jan. 1
- Removed one probable and added five confirmed cases on Dec. 31
- Removed two probable cases from Dec. 30
Twelve additional deaths have been attributed to the disease statewide, according to the DHHR:
- a 68-year old male from Berkeley County,
- a 92-year old female from Kanawha County,
- a 66-year old male from Berkeley County,
- a 77-year old female from Jackson County,
- a 72 year old male from Ohio County,
- a 92-year old female from Mason County,
- a 71-year old female from Ohio County,
- a 77-year old male from Mason County,
- an 86-year old male from Kanawha County,
- a 49-year old male from Upshur County,
- an 81-year old male from Raleigh County,
- a 58-year old male from Marion County.
“The West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources reports as of January 2, 2021, there have been 1,535,296 total confirmatory laboratory results received for COVID-19, with 89,327 total cases and 1,373 deaths,” according to a press release.
About 26,834 West Virginia cases remain active, according DHHR data. Of the cases that are no longer active, 61,120 people have recovered and 1,373 have died. The daily percent positive was 6.69%.
CASES PER COUNTY: Barbour (795), Berkeley (6,481), Boone (1,097), Braxton (315), Brooke (1,457), Cabell (5,424), Calhoun (137), Clay (263), Doddridge (266), Fayette (1,838), Gilmer (418), Grant (784), Greenbrier (1,564), Hampshire (1,026), Hancock (1,973), Hardy (809), Harrison (3,098), Jackson (1,205), Jefferson (2,463), Kanawha (8,877), Lewis (567), Lincoln (800), Logan (1,746), Marion (1,983), Marshall (2,166), Mason (1,071), McDowell (1,008), Mercer (3,003), Mineral (2,132), Mingo (1,500), Monongalia (5,494), Monroe (675), Morgan (666), Nicholas (720), Ohio (2,580), Pendleton (318), Pleasants (580), Pocahontas (364), Preston (1,719), Putnam (3,086), Raleigh (2,833), Randolph (1,211), Ritchie (370), Roane (313), Summers (467), Taylor (725), Tucker (341), Tyler (382), Upshur (970), Wayne (1,757), Webster (163), Wetzel (726), Wirt (234), Wood (5,146), Wyoming (1,221).