BUCKHANNON – The Upshur County Commission recently honored a local educator after she earned recognition from two state agencies.
The West Virginia Board of Education and the West Virginia Department of Education appointed Jessica Grose as the 2023 West Virginia School Service Personnel of the Year in September. The Upshur County Commission invited Grose to the Nov. 3 Upshur County Commission meeting to recognize her achievement.
“We would like to thank you for your dedication and your service to the Upshur County youth, and we just want to tell you congratulations for the special award that you just recently received,” Upshur County Commission president Kristie Tenney said.
A press release previously posted on My Buckhannon said, “Grose is a special education aide at Hodgesville Elementary School in Buckhannon, West Virginia. She is known as a great team player who commits to serving children whenever she is needed. During her 11 years of service, Grose has made lasting connections with students by making them feel important through her positive attitude and genuineness.
“In addition to the support she provides in her school building, Grose volunteers with the Upshur County FFA, the Buckhannon-Upshur High School football team, choir, band, cheerleading team, and Buckhannon 24 International Order of the Rainbow for Girls.”
In other Upshur County Commission news:
- The commission approved and signed the Esri renewal quote in the amount of $4,450 for the period Oct. 1, 2022, to Sept. 30, 2023. Of this amount, $1,200 is to be paid by the Assessor’s Revaluation Fund. Esri is a geographic information system software package.
- The commission approved correspondence from Brian Cooper, WVDOT Division of Highways District Seven Manger, regarding the current lease with the Division of Highways for the Tallmansville Radio Tower. The lease term is scheduled to expire on Dec. 31, 2022. Approval was given to renew the referenced lease with the WVDOT Division of Highways for another five-year term.
- The commission approved and signed the Plan Maintenance Agreement with White’s Clock and Carillon Northeast, Inc. in the amount of $600, for the calendar year 2023.
- The commission approved a request of Sheriff Virgil D. Miller to hire Cameron A. Forte as full-time Deputy Sheriff, effective Nov. 3, 2022. Deputy Forte was previously appointed for a provisional period of 90 days as permitted under WV Code 7-14-12.
- The commission approved revised Appointment Procedures within the Upshur County Employee Handbook of Personnel Guidelines.