BUCKHANNON – Halloween will be here in the blink of an eye, and this year there are a whole host of activities to put the fall spirit into your little pumpkins and ghosts – plus additional activities for the 18-and-over crowd in Upshur County.
Here is a list that includes many – but probably not all – of the haunted happenings in the area.
Most notably, Trick-or-Treat in Upshur County and the City of Buckhannon is scheduled for 6-7:30 p.m. on Halloween night, Monday, Oct. 31.
Also, the West Virginia State Wildlife Center, located in French Creek, is celebrating its second annual Tails, Trails and Treats, and if you did not get the chance to take your wee ones out to this event last year, you have another chance this year. The fun is slated for Saturday, Oct. 29 from 5 to 7 p.m. at the wildlife center, located at 163 Wildlife Road in French Creek. They ask that folks dress in their favorite costumes and enjoy a family-fun-filled evening while visiting West Virginia native animals and Trick-or-Treat.
Admission is free for kids 5 years old and under, $2 for kids aged 6-15 and $4 for those aged 16 and older. Additionally, W.Va. Wildlife Center Passes are being accepted.
Some other events happening in the area include (but are not limited to):
- Buckhannon Ward Trunk or Treat Activity Wednesday, Oct. 26 at 6:30 p.m. at the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints in Buckhannon, located at 179 S. Kanawha St.
- Upshur County Relay for Life is sponsoring a Halloween Fundraiser Saturday, Oct. 22 from 1 to 4 p.m. at A. F. Wendling parking lot where kids can play games, get candy and enjoy a costume contest and face painting. The costume contest is free for kids and there is a $5 entry fee for the pet costume contest and $5 fee for the adult costume contest. Games for kids and temporary tattoos are available for sale.
- “Clue: On Stage” will return for two encore performances Sunday, Oct. 30 at the Colonial Arts Center located at 48 E. Main St. in Buckhannon. Showtimes are scheduled for 2 and 7 p.m. Tickets are $10 and are available one hour prior to showtime. This show is rated a ‘hard PG.’
- A trick-or-treat will be happening at the Buckhannon Kroger store this Saturday, Oct. 15 from 4 to 7 p.m. Kroger is located in Skyline Plaza Drive and the event will feature a Trunk-or-Treat-style sidewalk event hosted by the businesses at Skyline Plaza and will feature candy stations, game stations and a coloring contest.
- There will be a Fall Festival beginning at 9 a.m. on Saturday, Oct. 22 at the Bicentennial Inn in Buckhannon. It will feature nearly 90 vendors along with visits with Bluey and Spider-Man.
- The Buckhannon Police Department and the Upshur County Family Resource Network are jointly sponsoring a Trunk-or-Treat at the Buckhannon Public Safety Complex on South Florida Street Friday, Oct. 28 from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m.
- Lolli&Pops Ice Cream Shop is having its second annual Truck or Treat event on Sunday, Oct. 30 from noon to 3 p.m. at their shop located at 4738 Tallmansville Road in Buckhannon. Folks can bring the kids in costume and receive one free ice cream cone per child. There will also be games and activities for children.
- Selbyville Junior/Auxiliary is hosting a dance and hayride Saturday, Oct. 29, beginning at 6 p.m. at the Selbyville Volunteer Fire Department. The hayrides are $2 per person and run from 6 to 8 p.m. and the dance begins at 7 p.m. and is $2 per person.
- There will be a trunk-or-treat and hayrides at the Buckhannon-Upshur Recreational Park Sunday, Oct. 23 from 6 to 7:30 p.m. The event will have games as well as treats for the kids.
- The 88 Lounge is hosting a Halloween Party Saturday, Oct. 29 from 8 p.m. to midnight featuring a live DJ and costume contest.
- Maniac Mountain Haunted House is sponsoring an event Saturday, Oct. 15 which is $10 per ticket and includes hayrides, a cornfield maze, a haunted house, a costume contest, bounce houses, pumpkin painting, carnival rides, photo ops, games and other vendors. Maniac Mountain is located at 1659 Teter Road in Buckhannon.
- Buckhannon-Upshur Middle School is having a Fall Festival Saturday, Oct. 29 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. The event features fun, games, food and trick-or-treating, and they ask that costumes be family-friendly.
- Hodgesville Elementary School PTO is presenting a trunk-or-treat Tuesday, Oct. 18 at the school.
- The Buckhannon Eagles are sponsoring a trunk-or-treat Saturday, Oct. 29 from noon to 4 p.m. at 2671 Clarksburg Road in Buckhannon.
- Throughout October, Green Acres Farm and Greenhouses is having hayrides, and visitors can explore pumpkin patches and a corn maze on Saturdays and Sundays from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. The cost is $7 for kids 12 and under and $10 for those 13 and over, and they are located at 71 Fish Hawk Drive in Rock Cave.
- The Fred W. Eberle Technical Center is hosting a Tech-or-Treat Wednesday, Oct. 19 from 6 to 8 p.m. This is the second time sponsoring this event, which promises to be a ‘spooky good time.’ The event features stations that contain holiday-themed activities for the kiddos and adults and promises lots of treats as well as hayrides and a haunted house. FETC is located at 208 Morton Avenue in Buckhannon
- The Stockert Youth and Community Center is sponsoring a haunted house Friday, Oct. 21 from 6:30 to 10:30 p.m.
- Trick-or-Treat within the City of Buckhannon and Upshur County is set for Monday, Oct. 31, 2022, from 6 to 7:30 p.m.
- Holly River State Park Foundation is sponsoring a Halloween Party at Holly River Park Saturday, Oct. 29. There will be trick-or-treat at the Campground at 5:15 p.m. and a festive food party from 6-7 p.m. at the Old Pavilion.
- The Pumpkin Classic Car Show, sponsored by the Buckhannon W.Va. Car Club is slated for Saturday, Oct. 22 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the Tractor Supply parking lot. It will feature music, food, a cakewalk, car show and chance/penny auction.
- The Ellamore Volunteer Fire Department will host a trunk-or-treat Saturday, Oct. 22 from 6 to 8 p.m.
- Buckhannon McDonald’s is hosting a trunk-or-treat Monday, Oct. 17 from 6 to 8 p.m. and will offer candy and coupons.
- Washington District Volunteer Fire Company is offering a trunk-or-treat Monday, Oct. 31 from 6 to 7 p.m. in Tallmansville.
We at My Buckhannon hope this list gives readers ideas of some ways they might greet the fall and Halloween seasons by attending local happenings and events.