ELKINS, W.Va. – Davis Medical Center has implemented a drive-thru pre-screening process for coronavirus on their campus in Elkins. On Wednesday, March 18, pre-screening drive-thru hours are noon until 5 p.m.
Beginning March 19, pre-screening will be available from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., seven days a week.
COVID-19 screening will not be done at this alternative site.
Due to the current limited availability of COVID-19 test kits, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has issued guidelines to qualify patients for COVID-19 testing, therefore not every patient who comes to the DMC drive-thru pre-screening will get COVID-19 testing.
Davis Medical Center will provide the following at the drive-thru screening unit:
- Patient registration
- Risk assessment screening
- Travel screening
- Temperature and pulse oxygen screening
- Influenza screening – when appropriate
High-risk individuals and/or those meeting CDC criteria for COVID-19 testing will be triaged by health professionals for further follow-up.
Children age 10 and under will not be screened at the drive-thru unit. Parents should contact their primary care physician for instructions or contact Davis Medical Center for instructions on making an appointment with a pediatrician.
“Because of resources and test availability, we’re not able to test everybody that would like to be tested for COVID-19,” said Davis Health System Chief Medical Officer Catherine Chua, D.O., FAAFP, FMNM, CPE. “Until the availability of tests expands in the U.S., we are strictly adhering to CDC guidance on COVID testing. It is the same protocol that other U.S. community hospitals are following.”
Advice for those wishing to take advantage of the pre-screening drive-thru:
- Bring documentation or be prepared to provide information for patient registration including photo id, insurance information, and travel history.
- Travel alone if you are symptomatic, and if possible. This supports social isolation recommendations and can reduce the spread of infectious disease.
- Expect wait times. Individual screening can take up to 10-15 minutes per vehicle. Plan ahead and prepare to wait in line until your turn.
- Entrance to the alternative screening site is along Gorman Avenue across from the Main Entrance of the hospital. Look for signs to help guide you.