BUCKHANNON – The Upshur County Commission has received the final check needed to complete the Upshur County Youth Camp Bridge project.
Senators Bill Hamilton and Robert Karnes attended the June 1 Upshur County Commission meeting to present a third $10,000 check for the project.
“This was probably the governor’s call, so I can’t take credit, but I appreciate you all working with us and allowing us to present a check and hopefully, this will get our bridge repair going for the 4-H camp,” Hamilton said. “Hopefully, this helps campers, counselors, and everybody else stay out of the Buckhannon River.”
Following Thursday’s meeting, Upshur County Administrator Tabatha Perry said the process to renovate the bridge at the 4-H Youth Camp in Selbyville began in March of 2022.
“We sent correspondence to Senator (Bill) Hamilton, making him aware the county owns the Youth Camp girder bridge, and during the bridge inspection conducted in 2020, some recommendations were made for basic maintenance that will increase the longevity of the bridge,” Perry said. “When we were obtaining the estimate, we were made aware that it would cost about $30,000 to complete the recommendations, and that was through a company with a West Virginia State contract.”
At the time, the commission asked the senators if they had any funding to put forth toward the project, and since then, they have presented three $10,000 checks.
“We’re going to be coordinating with the state Department of Highways,” Perry said. “They have a non-state-owned bridge program, so we’re going to be partnering with them since they’re more familiar with the process and have access to state contracts.”
Before adjourning, the commission also took the following actions:
- Approved the reappointment of Kessa Thorpe as District 2 Republican Representative to the Upshur-Buckhannon Board of Health. Upon approval, the term will be effective from July 1, 2023, to June 30, 2028.
- Approved the reappointment of Virgil D. LaRosa as the county representative to the Buckhannon-Upshur Airport Authority. Upon approval, the term will be effective July 1, 2023, to June 30, 2026.
- Approved the reappointment of Todd Payne as the farmer representative to the Upshur County Farmland Protection Board. The term will be effective July 1, 2023, to June 30, 2026.
- Approved correspondence from Kimbra Wachob, assistant director of the E911 Upshur County Emergency Communications Center, requesting the employment of Beatrice Simmons as a full-time emergency telecommunicator for the Upshur County Emergency Communications Center, effective June 5, 2023.
- Approved correspondence from Sheriff J. Michael Coffman requesting the employment of Tyler A. Gordon as a full-time deputy in the Upshur County Sheriff’s Department, effective June 11, 2023.
- Approved correspondence from Sheriff J. Michael Coffman requesting the employment of Riley T. Lamb as a full-time deputy in the Upshur County Sheriff’s Department, effective June 12, 2023.
- Approved Lewis-Upshur Animal Control Facility volunteer Trudy Crawford.
- Approved the employment of additional Buckhannon-Upshur Recreational Park staff, effective June 1, 2023.