BUCKHANNON – The 2018-2019 Upshur County Schools retirees were recognized and thanked for their years of service during the last meeting of the Upshur County BOE, held at the Buckhannon Academy Elementary School.
Upshur County Schools Superintendent Dr. Sara Lewis Stankus welcomed all of those retiring from the Upshur County School System.
“We are really honored to have our retirees with us. These people have dedicated their entire lives into serving kids in Upshur County Schools,” Stankus said at the board’s May 28 meeting. “You can’t replace these people because they are such a unique group of people who have a wonderful work ethic.”
“They have worked so hard and done extra for the betterment of the children. We just want to say thank you to all of the retirees,” Stankus added.
Retirees include aide Melba Black; speech therapist Connie Everett; bus operator Bill Groggs who served 36 years; teacher Mark Leigh; secretary Ronda J. Osburn; teacher Beth Post who served 40 years; aide Melody Powers; bus operator George Roessing II who served 24 years; cook Barbara Sanders; cook Loretta Kay Snyder who served 23 years; teacher Rachel Stump who served 32 years; and bus operator Joe Tallman who served 33 years.
Stankus also recognized Jill Stemple for the grants she has written.
“Last year, I worked on a Game On Grant for the garden at Rock Cave Elementary,” Stemple said. “We were awarded that grant, and we are moving our garden beds down to a different location which is more conducive to growing.”
Stemple said she submitted another grant, a Whole Foods grant, which she said was a long shot.
“We didn’t think we would get it because there are no Whole Foods Markets near us,” she said. “We were awarded $2,000, which is great.”
Stankus said the group is also working on securing grant money to acquire and set up a greenhouse at Rock Cave Elementary School.
“For all of your hard work, we would like to present you with an Upshur Stars Award – the US Award for your work above and beyond duty,” Stankus said.
Evan Trent, Upshur County BOE Student Board Representative, also received an Upshur Stars Award.
“Evan has been a great representative to serve on our board,” Stankus said. “When Evan came to us, B-UHS Principal Eddie Vincent said he’s one of the best we have. That speaks volumes when you have more than 1,000 students in your school.”
BOE President Dr. Tammy Samples said the BOE really appreciates all that Evan did.
“It’s not always easy and we appreciate your time,” Samples said.
“Thank you,” said BOE vice president Katie Loudin. “For anyone who was at graduation last Friday, you were the shining star. I can’t wait to see what you do. You will represent Buckhannon-Upshur well into the future. Thank you.”
“You have taken everything very seriously and had very thoughtful additions and commentary,” BOE Kristi Wilkerson said. “We wish you the best.”
Trent said he was happy to have had the experience.
“It was an honor serving on the board,” Evan said. “I’m glad I did it and I am glad I helped.”
Also, during Tuesday’s BOE meeting, members voted unanimously to approve the Superintendent’s personnel recommendations:
- Amy Hackett as assistant volleyball coach at B-UMS, effective immediately.
- Megan Bacorn as fifth-grade teacher at Union Elementary, effective June 11, 2019.
- Justin Dynes as fourth-grade teacher at French Creek Elementary School, effective June 30, 2019.
- Teresa L. Knight as senior class advisor at Buckhannon-Upshur High School, effective June 30, 2019.
- Teresa L. Knight as virtual schools coordinator at Buckhannon-Upshur High School, effective June 30, 2019.
- William R. Groggs from extra-curricular contract for mid-day bus runs, effective June 1, 2019.
- William R. Groggs from the Project Isaac bus run, effective for the 2019-2020 school year.
Summer School Positions: Buckhannon-Upshur High School
- Secretary – Mary Hull
- Math teacher – Cheryl Reger
- ELA teacher – Megan Gray
- Physical education teacher – Michael Gitzen
- Special education teacher – Adam Squires
- Driver’s ed teacher – Jacqueline Zuliani
- Counselor – Teresa Knight
- Principal – H. Randall Roy
- Felicia Corley as school psychologist for Upshur County Schools, effective 2019 – 2020 school year.
- Christina Nestor as head cheerleading coach at B-UHS, effective 2019 – 2020 school year.
- Kathryn Demastes as cook II at Buckhannon-Upshur Middle School, effective for the 2019-2020 school year.
- Employment of the following for summer maintenance and painting: Bobby Furr, Kimberly Mitchell and Bennie Nazelrod.
- William Squires from fifth-grade teacher at French Creek elementary to ELA teacher at B-UHS, effective for the 2019-2020 school year.
- Carrie Bowers from kindergarten teacher at Union Elementary School to pre-K teacher at Union Elementary School, effective 2019-2020 school year.
- Rescind transfer of Jennifer Dalton as special education teacher at Buckhannon Academy.
- Rescind transfer of Carmella McHenry as itinerant special education aide at Tennerton Elementary.
- Rescind transfer of Christina Rexroad as supervisory pre-K aide/early childhood classroom assistant at Buckhannon Academy Elementary.
- Keith Carr, leave without pay from Project Isaac Program June 14-30, 2019.
The next regular meeting of the Upshur County Board of Education is scheduled for 7 p.m. Tuesday, June 11, 2019 at the BOE Office, 102 Smithfield St., in Buckhannon.