Small, appliance-related fire in Wesleyan’s Christopher Hall quickly contained

BUCKHANNON – A small fire caused by an appliance that had been left on inside an academic hall at West Virginia Wesleyan College Thursday was quickly contained, and no one was injured.

According to firefighter Tanner Smith with the Buckhannon Fire Department, a type of oven had mistakenly been left on inside a room on the fourth floor of Christopher Hall of Science. As a result, a small fire broke out just after 9 p.m. Thursday, April 11.

“It was basically an oven,” Smith said. “It was all appliance-contained, and it was very minimal. Damage was contained to the appliance, and we just had to remove some smoke.”

Smith said the fire wasn’t suspicious.

“It looks like someone just forgot to turn it off when they left,” he said.

The fire was reported to the West Virginia State Fire Marshal’s office because Wesleyan is an educational facility, Smith added.

News Feed

Subscribe to remove popups, or just enjoy this free story and support our local businesses!