The 10th Annual Mon Health Stonewall Jackson Memorial Hospital Children’s Safety Fair will be held on Saturday, October 26 at the Weston Fire Department, on Center Avenue, in Weston, between 11 a.m. and 1 p.m.
There are a variety of vendors who are participating in the event including the Weston City Police, Weston Volunteer Fire Department, Lewis County Emergency Squad, Lewis County Family Resource Network, Lewis County 911 Center, Hope Incorporated, Julie Deem of Unicare, the Lewis County Heart Society, Louis Bennett Library, the Lewis County High School Interact Club, and a Lewis County Teen Leaders.
The event is an effort by the Hospital’s Marketing and Emergency Department’s to provide safe and healthy lifestyle choices. The SJMH Dietary Department will provide fruit, water and lunch for participants.
The LCHS Interact Club will organize the Children’s Costume Contest, which will be held at noon. The age categories are 0-3; 4-7; 8-10, and 11-13 with the categories of most original, scariest, and funniest.
Later in the day, the hospital will have several other activities. The 5th Annual Halloween Pet Costume Contest is at 4 p.m. by the Robert Bland Middle School across from the Field. Then at 5 p.m. the 5th Annual Pumpkin Drop will be held in the same location.
The Weston Fire Department will provide the aerial truck from which the pumpkins will fall. There will be a grand prize of $100 for the pumpkin with the least fractures, or cracks which is dropped from the ladder.
Rules for the Pumpkin Drop are:
1. The pumpkin must be at least a minimum size of 10 inches in diameter as a standard. Ties in the scoring can be decided by the entry with the largest diameter.
2. The pumpkin and the protective structure combined may not weigh more than 60 pounds.
3. The pumpkin container can have dimensions no greater than 30 x 30 x 30 inches.
4. The pumpkin may not be altered in any way (no freezing or adding chemicals).
5. No packing peanuts or other small, non-biodegradable fillers are allowed.
6. The protective structure should be designed so that judge can open it and remove the pumpkin within 30 seconds.
7. The protective structure cannot hold or use any glass, ceramic, explosives, or other potentially dangerous substance.
Interested participants should call 304-269-3683 in the evening or 304-269-8167 during the day.
There are over 50 participants in the H&M Motors Trunk or Treat, which will be held around the track of the Robert Bland Middle School Field from 6 to 7:30 p.m. Ray Smith will be the DJ for the evening. Chad Davis, magician, will be performing his Magic Show at 7:30 at the end of Trunk or Treat.