Editor’s note: Sara Stirs is contributing to My Buckhannon on an occasional pop-up basis to give readers an exclusive look at some of her favorite recipes she’s perfected over time. For more content, follow her on Instagram at @sarajstirs.
Quick BBQ Shrimp Wraps
- 1/2 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle powder or chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons barbecue sauce
- 2 teaspoons fresh cilantro chopped
- juice of 1 lime
- Olive oil
- Toss the shrimp with the seasoned salt, chipotle powder, and black pepper.
- Drizzle and toss with enough olive oil to coat.
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, sauté the shrimp for about two minutes on each side until pink and cooked through. Promptly remove from heat, and toss with the barbecue sauce, lime juice, and cilantro.
Cilantro Lime Avocado Ranch
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 avocado
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons each fresh dill, parsley, chives
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
Directions: Pulse all ingredients in a food processor to combine. For a shortcut, make a packet of Hidden Valley ranch dressing using part sour cream and part mayonnaise. Use 1/2 of the dressing in a food processor and add cilantro, avocado and lime.
To assemble the snack wraps:
- Using 4 medium flour tortillas, warm in the oven or char over a gas flame.
- Toss fresh greens with the dressing.
- Place the dressed greens, shrimp, fresh corn and tomatoes (optional pickled onions).
- Wrap and secure with a toothpick.
- 1/2 lb chicken, breasts or thighs
- 1 red onion, cut into 1 in pieces
- 1 bell pepper, cut into 1 in pieces
- 14oz can petite diced tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon anchovy paste or 2 filets
- 1 tablespoon capers, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet smoked paprika (more to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Olive oil for cooking
- Combine: paprika, oregano, salt and pepper, Coat chicken.
- In a deep skillet sauté chicken in a little olive oil over medium heat.
- When the chicken is partially cooked, add onion and bell pepper and sauté an additional 5 minutes.
- Add anchovy, capers, and tomatoes.
- Cover and simmer on low for 15 minutes. Turn off heat and stir in parsley.
- Serve with saffron rice.
Peach Almond Galette with Rosemary Whipped Cream
- 1 pie crust, store-bought or homemade
- 1 cup finely chopped almonds
- 3 cups sliced peaches
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Brown sugar to taste
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup orange marmalade or apricot jam
- Flaky salt to finish
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg with 2 teaspoons water. Set aside.
- In a bowl, toss peaches, brown sugar, lemon zest, vanilla and salt.
- Press pie crust into about a 10-inch circle. Spread the almonds over the crust, leaving about 2 inches on the outside for folding inward.
- Spread the peaches over the almonds. Fold the edges in and brush with the egg wash (optional: sprinkle with coarse sugar).
- Bake on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper at 375 for 20-25 minutes, or until the crust is golden and flaky.
- Melt the marmalade or jam over low heat until thin. Brush on the galette when removed from the oven.
For the Rosemary Whipped Cream:
- Combine 1/3 cup sugar, 1/3 cup water, 3-4 sprigs of rosemary in a saucepan over medium-low heat until the sugar is melted; continue to infuse on low for 5-10 minutes; allow to cool.
- Whip heavy cream until stiff peaks form, then slowly stream in rosemary simple syrup until the desired sweetness is reached.