TENNERTON — In continuing to bring you the best sports coverage in Upshur County, the My Buckhannon sports department is pleased to present another edition of our exclusive — Raising the Jolly Roger With…
In ‘Raising the Jolly Roger With…’ the My Buckhannon sports department will interview a senior student-athlete from Buckhannon-Upshur to get to know them better and what makes them tick both on and off the field. Don’t settle for cheap knockoffs!
Our student-athlete this week is Nathaniel Tyson — enjoy!
1. Please list all the sports you have played at B-U and what year you played them? I’ve played lacrosse my freshman, sophomore and junior year and have wrestled since my junior year.
2. What has been your favorite athletic moment at Buckhannon-Upshur that you participated in? When me and my teammates earned the opportunity to go compete in the state wrestling tournament my junior year, it was an amazing experience for everyone who went.
3. Describe your toughest practice at Buckhannon-Upshur. What sport and who was the coach? My toughest practice was under Coach Jake Orr when I was at wrestling practice at around the end of the season, and we were having a grind day. Every Wednesday we wrestle live for majority of practice, and I cried three times within those two hours.
4. Do you have a favorite saying from one of your head coaches? My head coaches have a saying called the forty percent rule, they say when your mind is giving up and your exhausted you still have forty percent left to push yourself.
5. What was or is your favorite class you have taken at Buckhannon-Upshur and who taught it? Why was it your favorite? My favorite was English class my junior year and Mrs. Davis was the teacher. It was my favorite class because Mrs. Davis always interacted with you and her class. She made it enjoyable to be in her classroom and was always nice to everyone.
6. What is your favorite thing about being a Buccaneer? My favorite thing about being a Buccaneer is being able to compete in sports as a Buccaneer athlete and be proud that I have created a family here at Buckhannon Upshur.
7. If you were asked to play another sport, what would it be and why? I would probably play football because I love all contact sports, but I would also run track because I enjoy running and I’m pretty quick.
8. Who is your hero and why? My brother is my hero because he’s taught me more than anyone and he’s always been there for me. My brother has always taken care of me and when I’m struggling, I know I can always rely on him.
9. What do you want to be when you grow up? I want to be a HVAC Technician which is someone who is licensed to install, test, maintain, and repair both residential and nonresidential heating, ventilating, and cooling systems.
10. What are you initial plans after graduation this spring? I plan on attending Fred W Eberle Technical Center to become a HAVC Technician.
11. What question do you hate to answer? I hate to answer simple questions that someone should know the answer to.
12. Who is the best athlete in your family? I consider my grandpa the best athlete in our family because he’s mentally stronger than anyone I know and could ride a bike in any weather for miles.
13. Do you have a favorite vacation spot? If so where? I don’t have a favorite spot because I haven’t gone on vacations a lot but I would choose a beach over anything else.
14. What is your favorite food and one thing you won’t eat? My favorite food is spaghetti made with brown sugar and I won’t eat coleslaw.
15. What advice would you give to a young athlete ready to start his/her time as a Buccaneer? I would tell them to never give up on their goals and to strive to be the best athlete and student they can be.