TENNERTON — In continuing to bring you the best sports coverage in Upshur County, the My Buckhannon sports department is pleased to present another edition of our exclusive — Raising the Jolly Roger With…
In ‘Raising the Jolly Roger With…’ the My Buckhannon sports department will interview a senior student-athlete from Buckhannon-Upshur to get to know them better and what makes them tick both on and off the field. Don’t settle for cheap knockoffs!
Our student-athlete this week is Jared Brandish — enjoy!
- Please list all the sports you have played at B-U and what year you played them? I have played soccer from 2019-2022.
- What has been your favorite athletic moment at Buckhannon-Upshur that you participated in? Tying Woodrow Wilson 4-4 in my junior season.
- Describe your toughest practice at Buckhannon-Upshur. What sport and who was the coach? The first soccer practices my freshman year, Coach Mike Donato had us do a two-a-day practices. We did conditioning drills all morning, and practiced touch work in the hot evening.
- Do you have a favorite saying from one of your head coaches? “Have I ever told you boys you look great in blue?” – Donato
- What was or is your favorite class you have taken at Buckhannon-Upshur and who taught it? Why was it your favorite? My favorite class was Digital Imaging II with Mrs. Jones. We got two design posters, brochures, and tickets that were used for different events.
- What is your favorite thing about being a Buccaneer? My favorite thing about being a Buccaneer is the people at this school.
- If you were asked to play another sport, what would it be and why? I would choose to play baseball. I used to play when I was younger, and I loved it.
- Who is your hero and why? My hero would be my great grandma. She continues to battle through cancer yet have the most positive outlook of any person.
- What do you want to be when you grow up? I want to be a physical therapist.
- What are your initial plans after graduation this spring? I am going to attend West Virginia University.
- What question do you hate to answer? I hate answering the question “What is your favorite moment/memory?” I have so many great memories of this school and the soccer program, it’s nearly impossible to choose only one.
- Who is the best athlete in your family? I think I am probably the best athlete in my family, although it’s very close between me and my dad.
- Do you have a favorite vacation spot? Is so where? Me and my family love to go on Disney cruises in the Caribbean. My favorite spot that we’ve visited so far is Disney’s private island, Castaway Cay.
- What is your favorite food and one thing you won’t eat? My favorite food is pasta, but one thing I refuse to eat is seafood.
- What advice would you give to a young athlete ready to start his/her time as a Buccaneer? Never quit. This may be the last time to ever play your sport with your friends, take advantage of the time you have and never take it for granted.