TENNERTON — In continuing to bring you the best sports coverage in Upshur County, the My Buckhannon sports department is pleased to present another edition of our exclusive — Raising the Jolly Roger With…
In ‘Raising the Jolly Roger With…’ the My Buckhannon sports department will interview a senior student-athlete from Buckhannon-Upshur to get to know them better and what makes them tick both on and off the field.
Our student-athlete this week is Bryson Johnson — enjoy!
1.Please list all the sports you have played at B-U and what year you played them? I have played football and basketball all four years at Buckhannon-Upshur. My junior I ran track and will my senior year too.
2. What has been your favorite athletic moment at Buckhannon-Upshur that you participated in? My 100-yard interception for a touchdown against Philip Barbour my sophomore year. It was a great team win, and it was also coach Zach Davis’s first win as a Buccaneer.
3. Describe your toughest practice at Buckhannon-Upshur. What sport and who was the coach? Basketball practice my sophomore year with head coach Travis Foster. It was a weekend morning practice, and one of our teammates had shown up late, so instead of practice we went down to the football field and ran sprints with our hands in the air for an hour in the snow.
4. Do you have a favorite saying from one of your head coaches? Coach Davis always gives us great wisdom, some of my favorites are “man in the arena,” “win the day,” and “the lock the gates.”
5. What was or is your favorite class you have taken at Buckhannon-Upshur and who taught it? Why was it your favorite? My favorite class must be cooking class, Mr. Cutright taught it, and it was just fun to have a break from your normal class and get to go cook great food and hangout.
6. What is your favorite thing about being a Buccaneer? Always being an underdog.
7. If you were asked to play another sport, what would it be and why? I would probably pick soccer because I grew up playing it, and I really enjoyed playing the game.
8. Who is your hero and why? My mom is my hero, she’s always believed in me, always been there for me, never gave up on me, and always loved me.
9. What do you want to be when you grow up? A successful business owner.
10. What are your initial plans after graduation this spring? Work on my pressure washing business, go on vacation, and getting ready for college
11. What question do you hate to answer? Any question about myself.
12. Who is the best athlete in your family? Most of my family grew up playing sports, but I’m the best athlete in the family.
13. Do you have a favorite vacation spot? If so, where? Naples, Florida is gorgeous, and my favorite place I’ve ever been.
14. What is your favorite food and one thing you won’t eat? My favorite food is steak, and one food I won’t eat is olives.
15. What advice would you give to a young athlete ready to start his/her time as a Buccaneer? Make the most of your time, it flies by. Believe in yourself, and never give up.