No one injured in Dec. 13 fire in northeastern Upshur County; plus, fire department shares holiday safety tips

BUCKHANNON – No one was injured during a structure fire that broke out in a Murphy Station Road residence Monday.

Captain Brian Elmore with the Buckhannon Fire Department said the department received a call about a structure fire on the Murphy Station Road in the Hodgesville area at 2:52 p.m. Monday, Dec. 13.

The structure was a mobile home, and the blaze was confined to the bedroom. Elmore said the occupant of the home reported lighting a candle prior to the blaze breaking out.

“She lit a candle on her nightstand and left to take her dog for a walk,” Elmore said. “When she was coming back, she said she could hear the alarms going off.”

The Buckhannon Fire Department, the Warren District Volunteer Fire Department and Upshur County EMS responded to the call and the fire was out within 30 minutes of their response.

Elmore also shared some related holiday fire prevention safety tips.

“Never leave your candles unattended, keep extension cords away from curtains and don’t keep them (extension cords) underneath rugs where they can get hot because they could catch on fire,” Elmore said. “Anything that’s electrical, don’t cover it up.”

Elmore encouraged residents to keep on top of fireplace upkeep and never wander away from the kitchen while cooking.

“Don’t ever put two surge protectors together – it doesn’t double protect them — and maintain fireplaces,” he said. “Be aware of cooking fires, so stay in the kitchen and keep an eye on your ovens and stoves.

Elmore said people should not try to melt pipes in the colder winter months or leave their vehicles on while still parked in a garage.

“Sometimes when it gets really cold and pipes start freezing, we do get some people who will take a torch and try to heat [their pipes] up, but that’s not a good idea,” he said. “You’re around heat and wood and other materials like that, so don’t do that. And don’t leave your vehicles unattended in your garage running because of carbon monoxide poisoning.”

He also advised drivers to slow down when road conditions turn icy.  

“Take your time,” Elmore said. “If you have to go somewhere, give yourself plenty of time and don’t rush to try to get around. Just keep an eye on the weather, watch the road conditions and if you need to go somewhere, take your time. Don’t wait until the last minute and have to try to get there as quick as you can.”

News Feed

Subscribe to remove popups, or just enjoy this free story and support our local businesses!