BUCKHANNON – No one was injured in a fire that broke out in a second-floor apartment on Main Street Saturday afternoon.
Lt. Linn Baxa with the Buckhannon Fire Department said the cause of the fire, which started just after 1 p.m., is unknown and that the Buckhannon Police Department and West Virginia State Fire Marshal’s office are investigating.
It occurred on the second floor of 11 E. Main St., above Merle Norman and the Pink Hydrangea.
Several individuals were inside at the time the fire started, but they escaped safely, and no one was transported to the hospital, Baxa said.
“The actual fire damage was confined to one room,” he said. “Of course, there was water damage downstairs at Merle Norman, but no fire damage there.”
Buckhannon career firefighter Ethan Smith said Adrian Volunteer Fire Department covered the BFD’s station, while the BFD, Washington District Volunteer Fire Company, Hodgesville Volunteer Fire Department and Ellamore Volunteer Fire Department assisted on scene.
“We had about four trucks there, and had it under control within five minutes,” Smith said.