BUCKHANNON — The Buckhannon-Upshur High School soccer Buccaneers placed two players on the 2018 Big 10 All-Conference squad announced this weekend.
Ryan Hurst and Lane Tenney were each named to the second team. Hurst was B-U’s leading scorer as a constant threat up front, while Tenney controlled the flow of the game from his spot in the midfield. Both players are just sophomores.
“[I’m] very proud of them for attaining this accomplishment,” B-U head coach Mike Donato said. “Getting any recognition in our conference is not easy considering the amount of quality teams that we have. The fact that they accomplished this feat as sophomores really speaks to the quality of players they are.”
East Fairmont’s Corey Fluharty was named the Big 10 Player of the Year, while Bees coach Tristan Wierbonski was selected as the Coach of the Year.
East Fairmont finished the year as the state runners-up, falling 3-1 to Winfield in the AA-A championship on Saturday. They finished the year 18-1-2.
The Buccaneers went 9-10-3 in 2018.
East Fairmont, Bridgeport and Robert C. Bryd all had three players on the all-conference first team. The complete list is below:
- Corey Fluharty – East Fairmont
- Aiden Slusser – East Fairmont
- Lance Cerullo – East Fairmont
- Tristan Nolte – Bridgeport
- Broc Oliverio – Bridgeport
- Sam Stauffer – Bridgeport
- Michael Floyd – Fairmont Senior
- Nathan Maxwell – Fairmont Senior
- Khori Miles – Robert C. Byrd
- Ryan Collett – Robert C. Byrd
- Tanner Dodd – Robert C. Byrd
- Caleb Shipley – Philip Barbour
- Chance Howell – Liberty
- Montgomery Rebelo – Preston
- Joel Morris – East Fairmont
- Seth Stilgenbauer – Fairmont Senior
- Isaac Branch – Fairmont Senior
- Jonas Branch – Fairmont Senior
- Elijah Williams – Robert C. Byrd
- Ryan Hurst – Buckhannon-Upshur
- Lane Tenney – Buckhannon-Upshur
- Collin Dodson – Lewis County
- Jeremiah Cruz – Lewis County
- Gabe Wolverton – Grafton
- Alec Correia – Grafton
- Greyson Howell – Elkins
- Liam Gongola – Elkins
- Ryan Leep – Lincoln