Furloughed federal employees in West Virginia can apply for unemployment benefits

Federal employees affected by the government shutdown in West Virginia may apply for unemployment benefits throughout WorkForce West Virginia.

Affected workers are encouraged to apply by visiting workforcewv.org. Applicants may also visit their local WorkForce Office for additional support and application assistance. WorkForce Outreach Office employees cannot process unemployment claims.

Below are some frequent questions regarding unemployment benefits for federal employees on furlough:

Q: How do I file for unemployment benefits?
A: You must file online at workforcewv.org.

Q: Do I have to serve a waiting week?
A: Yes. The first week you are eligible for benefits on a claim is a mandatory unpaid waiting period.

Q: How long will it take for me to receive benefits?
A: Applications will be processed as soon as possible. There may be some delays due to wages not being immediately available due to the shutdown.

Q: What documentation will I need?
A: You will need to submit a Notification of Personnel Action (SFSO), or a Notice to Federal Employee About Unemployment Insurance (SF8). In order to expedite your claim process, please upload check stubs when filing the Initial claim in case the agency cannot obtain wage information.

Q: Do I have to search for a job while furloughed?
A: Federal employees who are separated as a result of the partial government shutdown are considered job-attached and will not be required to conduct a job search during the furlough.

Q: What if I am working some hours but not getting paid?
A: If you are working but not getting paid, you need to report hours and earnings during this time, for each week you file for benefits.

Q: What happens if I receive back pay after the shutdown has ended?
A: If Congress reaches an agreement that includes back pay for furloughed time, federal workers will be responsible for paying back any unemployment benefits received during that time. If you have already requested payment of unemployment benefits and you then receive payment from your government job you must provide detailed information about the compensation you received, including dates and gross amounts.

For more information on unemployment benefits for federal furloughed employees in West Virginia, visit workforcewv.org/unemployment or call 304-558-2611.



The Brushy Fork Event Center is ready to host everything from elegant weddings to corporate conferences. And when things don't go exactly as planned, the skilled staff is ready do what it takes to ensure every event is a success.

City ponders path forward as CVB relinquishes management of the Event Center at Brushy Fork

BUCKHANNON – Starting in April, a new entity will be managing the Event Center at Brushy Fork – but just who that is remains in flux after a lengthy discussion at Buckhannon City Council’s meeting Thursday explored several potential options, […]

Become a premium member to unlock immediate access to this story — and thousands more. Free trial available! Signing up is easy — just tap the button below.

Support Your Local Restaurants: The Links

By the Secret Chef If you believe life is too short to cook all the time (or maybe never 😉), The Links Restaurant located in the historic Buckhannon Country Club, now open to the public,


Basketball ‘Cats score season-low 38 points in loss to Salem

BUCKHANNON, W.Va. – The West Virginia Wesleyan men’s basketball team lost a non-conference matchup to Salem on Wednesday night 74-38. The Bobcats were held to their lowest point total of the season, shooting 17-64 (27%)

WVWC softball picked to win MEC South Divison

BRIDGEPORT, W.Va. – Frostburg State and West Virginia Wesleyan have been picked to win divisional championships during the 2023 Mountain East Conference softball season following a vote of the league’s head coaches. Frostburg State has been picked

Upshur County Sports Calendar

MONDAY (Feb. 6) Basketball TUESDAY (Feb. 7) Basketball Swimming WEDNESDAY (Feb. 8) Basketball Swimming THURSDAY (Feb. 9) Basketball Swimming FRIDAY (Feb. 10) Swimming Wrestling SATURDAY (Feb. 11) Acrobatics and Tumbling Basketball Wrestling SUNDAY (Feb. 12)