Carbon monoxide scare at Braxton County hotel sends several to hospital

CHARLESTON, W.Va. – Emergency responders responded to the Microtel Inn in Braxton County early Sunday morning after guests reported symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, according to a press release from the West Virginia State Fire Marshal’s Office.

On Sunday, May 26, Braxton County emergency service agencies responded to the Microtel Inn at 115 Reston Place near Gassaway. 

Braxton County 911 received a call at approximately 2:35 am from two adult female occupants of the hotel who stated they did not feel well.  The individuals were complaining of weakness, nausea and numbness in their extremities.  The individuals stated they had no knowledge of ingesting anything and had no known reason as to why both would be sick.  Emergency Medical Services were dispatched to their location. 

Once on scene EMS evaluated the individuals and further assessed the situation.  EMS continued to find other individuals in the hotel who did not feel well. Upon realizing the possibility of multiple patients, EMS requested for local fire departments to be dispatched to assist. Once local fire departments arrived and began to assist patients, responders continued to evaluate the scene. During this evaluation, elevated carbon monoxide was found within the structure. Responding firefighters immediately turned off the natural gas service to the building, contacted the local gas utility and proceeded to ventilate the building. A total of seven patients were transported by EMS to a local hospital. Several individuals drove themselves to a local hospital to be evaluated as well. 

Later in the morning hours, a member of the State Fire Marshal’s office visited the scene, conducted a fire safety inspection and subsequently issued a report. No carbon monoxide detection of any kind was found during this inspection. 

By the afternoon hours, the facility had installed temporary carbon monoxide detectors, with permanent detection being ordered so that they could be attached to their current fire alarm system.  The gas-fired water heaters were serviced the same day by a licensed contractor and placed back in service.  

WV Code 15A-10-12 requires carbon monoxide detectors in apartment buildings, boarding houses, dormitories, hospitals, long-term care facilities, adult or childcare facilities, assisted living facilities, one- and two-family dwellings that are intended to be rented or leased, hotels and motels, public and private educational occupancies. 

News Feed

Subscribe to remove popups, or just enjoy this free story and support our local businesses!