Car catches fire while undergoing repairs near gas tank, one injured

BUCKHANNON – One person was taken to St. Joseph’s Hospital after a car fire on Pringle Tree Park Road.

Firefighter first-class Tanner Smith said the Buckhannon Fire Department responded to 44 Pringle Tree Park Road at 2:59 p.m.

“They were they were working on the vehicle when it caught on fire — they were making repairs around the gas tank,” Smith said. “It’s actually not the liquid that catches on fire, it’s the fumes that catch on fire and spread. If you’re working on a gas tank or a sort of a container that’s had flammable liquids, you’re supposed to fill it with water because it flushes all the vapor out.”

There was one injury transported to St. Joseph’s Hospital, but Smith said the man was awake and talking when he went to the hospital. The fire was out by 3:10 p.m.

News Feed

Subscribe to remove popups, or just enjoy this free story and support our local businesses!