TENNERTON – Buckhannon-Upshur’s Jack Waggy outran 95 other runners to win the Buckhannon-Upshur Invitational in a home race at the high school Saturday morning.
Waggy ran the course in 17:12.50, seven full seconds ahead of runner-up Nathaniel Stuck of East Fairmont who finished with a time of 17:19.84.
“I was super impressed with Jack’s individual victory as well as our strong performance as a team.,” stated Buckhannon-Upshur head coach Taylor Stacy. “He secured the win with a strong finish.”
The Bucs had two other runners finish in the top 10.
Joey Nolte placed seventh for the Bucs with a time of 17:58.72 while Alex Sappey finished ninth with a clocking of 18:22.68.
“Nolte and Sappey had really good races to make the top 10,” noted Stacy.
The rest of the B-U line-up was Isaac Snodgrass running 27th (20:26.68), Jeremy Allman taking 44th (21:52.71) and Bryce Mullens placing 47th (22:07.22).
As a team, the Bucs finished fourth out of 10 squads with 82 points.
Elkins won the team title with 53 points while East Fairmont was second with 71 and Fairmont Senior was third with 75.
“We’re definitely starting to get things rolling in the right direction,” stated Stacy. “This meet serves as a nice confidence boost rolling into the rest of the season. We hope to take this momentum into the next few weeks of training and really dig deep.”
Buckhannon-Upshur also hosted a middle school meet Saturday morning along with the high school race.
“We were proud to host 13 high school and 15 middle school teams,” concluded Stacy. “It was a great day, and we owe thanks to all of our volunteers for making it possible.”
The Bucs will be off this week and will return to action next Saturday (Sept. 16) at the Forest Festival Invitational at Davis & Elkins College.
- Elkins 53; 2. East Fairmont 71; 3. Fairmont Senior 75; 4. Buckhannon-Upshur 82; 5. Nicholas County 118; 6. Ritche County 150; 7. Lincoln 163; 8. Clay-Battelle 230; 9. Philip Barbour 283; 10. North Marion 265 (Tucker County, Richwood and Webster County did not field complete teams).
INDIVIDUAL TOP 5
- Jack Waggy (Buckhannon-Upshur) – 17:12.50.
- Nathaniel Stuck (East Fairmont) – 17:19.84.
- Joshua Bodkins (Elkins) – 17:38.59.
- Landon Jones (Fairmont Senior) – 17:44.47.
- Luke Barr (Nicholas County) – 17:46.21.
Jack Waggy (1st) – 17:12.50.
Joey Nolte (7th) – 17:58.72.
Alex Sappey (9th) – 18:22.68.
Isaac Snodgrass (27th) – 20:26.68.
Jeremy Allman (44th) – 21:52.71.
Bryce Mullens (47th) – 22:07.72.