Where: Buckhannon Event Center (the new Armory on Brushy Fork Road)
When: Thursday, March 14, from 1-6 p.m.
Bring the following:
- Birth certificate issued by the state (Not a hospital or county issued birth certificate; the state issued certificate will have a birth number in the upper right-hand corner.)
- Immunization record (obtain from your child’s physician)
- HealthCheck form (obtain from your child’s physician)
- Verification of a dental exam (Upshur County dentists have been
- provided with a form to use, and it is available in the enrollment
- forms online at upshurschools.com)
**Please attend to register your child even if you do not currently have all the required documentation.
IMPORTANT STATEWIDE UPDATE ON AGE REQUIREMENT
- Senate Bill 186 that passed in the spring of 2017 changed the birthday requirement for pre-k and kindergarten.
- Beginning with the 2018-19 school year, students must be 4 years old on or before June 30 to enroll in pre-k.
- Beginning with the 2019-20 school year, students must be 5 years old on or before June 30 to enroll in kindergarten.
- For additional questions, you may contact Jody Johnson (kindergarten) at 304- 472-5480 ext. 1070, or Lori Woods (pre-k) at 304-472-5480 ext.1043.
Frequently asked questions about enrollment
Q. Do I register my child for pre-k or kindergarten?
A. If your child is 4 years old on or before June 30, he/she is eligible for pre-k. If your child is 5 years old on or before June 30, he/she is eligible for kindergarten.
Q. What happens if I enroll my child in pre-k, but later decide not to send him/her?
A. Registration for pre-k is non-binding, prior to the start of school. *If a child is 6 years old on June 30, he/she must attend kindergarten, per state law.
Q. What is the process for deciding which pre-k classroom my child will attend?
A. The enrollment forms allow for parents to indicate their choice of classrooms. We will also look at the school district in which your child lives, family and student special needs, including the need for before or after school care, and transportation availability.
Q. When and how will I find out my child’s pre-k placement?
A. The Upshur County Core Early Childhood Team will determine placement. We plan to have placements completed in May and will notify parents with a letter in the mail.
Q. Can I complete the enrollment papers before I come to registration?
A. Yes, the enrollment forms for both kindergarten and pre-k are provided online at upshurcountyschools.com
Q. My child attended Head Start last year; do I have to complete new enrollment forms?
A. Yes, we need current enrollment forms completed in order to consider your child in the pre-k placement process.
Q. My child attended pre-k this past year and will be going to kindergarten next year. Do I need to register?
A. Yes, you will need to complete the kindergarten enrollment forms.
Q. My child attended an Upshur County pre-k classroom this past year and will be going to kindergarten next year. Do I need to bring another copy of my child’s birth certificate?
A. No. We will already have a copy of your child’s birth certificate on file.
Q: Where can I get a state issued birth certificate?
A. You can find and print out the form online at http://www.wvdhhr.org/bph/hsc/vital/forms/birthfm.pdf
You can find more detailed information about completing the form at http://www.wvdhhr.org/bph/hsc/vital/birthcert.asp
Q. When will school start?
A. The Upshur County Schools calendar will not be finalized until later in the spring. Once it is finalized, you will be able to find it on the Upshur County Schools’ website, upshurschools.com
Q. How will I know what bus my child will ride?
A. The transportation department will be at registration to help determine your school district. The bus schedule will be published in the Record Delta the week before the start of school. Pre-k students are not guaranteed transportation, but it may be available dependent upon placement.
Q. Will I have a chance to meet my child’s teacher?
A. Each pre-k classroom will have an Orientation, so your pre-k child can attend the site and meet the teacher. Each kindergartener will have a chance to attend an Open House at his/her school.
CLICK HERE for 2019-20 enrollment info for K and Pre-K.
CLICK HERE for 2019-20 Pre-K enrollment form